Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Sense Of Entitlement

There are people who have a sense of entitlement. Perhaps I am one of them,

We began with very little money, took big risks, surrounded ourselves with talented people, worked hard and through good fortune, made comfortable lives for ourselves and our families.

But what about the many people who are struggling to pay their bills? In most cases, these are people who love their families as much as we love our families, and are trying valiantly to provide for them.

Do we who are living comfortably have an obligation to help them? Or can we just look away and pretend these many struggling people aren't a part of us, that they aren't our brethren?

"The government will help them," some well-off people say, and then refuse to pay the higher taxes necessary to make that so. "Charity begins at home" is another common phrase, of course made by those who don't need charity.

Yet life is brief and at its end, all money is left behind, so what good does it do to cling to money? Why not help those in need? Offering such help is a wonderful thing to do and it does wonders for everyone involved.

I too have an obligation to help those in need. Anonymously I've done that but my conscience tells me not generously enough. As a result, I'm rethinking what more I can do, and each day my heart opens wider and my awareness grows greater. The guidance will come and I will know what to do.

Dick

No comments: